Ready to revamp? What's the saying? Out with the old and in with the new! Learn how to make a headboard! Why not begin in the bedroom and give your room a fresh new look. How you ask? Read on to learn how to make a headboard that creates the WOW you've been looking for. And better yet, can be done for the price of a can of paint!
The headboard is the focal point of any bed. Just like the nose on your face, the eye is immediately drawn to it! As a result, it can be a daunting task selecting the perfect headboard. And in these economically challenging times, who wants to break the bank purchasing new furniture. Instead, you can create a dramatic change in your bedroom just by learning how to make a headboard. It's as easy as painting your old headboard or by creating a custom painted headboard on your wall. And you CAN do it yourself!
5 Headboard Ideas for Any Bedroom
1. Consider going green by breathing new life into an old headboard. Using an old headboard has obvious benefits to our environment, and you'd be surprised just how different it will look with a new coat of paint. To refurbish your current headboard, select a paint color that compliments the wall color or bedding. To go greener, purchase low- or non-VOC paint. Be sure to lightly sand the headboard and wipe clean before priming. Then apply one or two coats of paint, and voila, it looks like new!
2. If you dislike your current headboard so much that you're ready to give it away, then why not learn how to make a headboard yourself? You can create a custom painted headboard right on your wall. It's as easy as choosing a design and painting it. You can paint the headboard at any height, making sure it's as wide as your mattress. Select a geometric pattern for a more modern look. Use large stripes or ones of varying size, square blocks or a rectangle as seen in the picture below. To achieve a more traditional feel, go with a camel back or semi-circle shape. Use painter's tape to lay out your design on the wall. Then paint. It's as easy as that.
3. Wondering how to make a headboard that's easy, low cost and environmentally friendly? Why not use an old door hung horizontally on the wall. You just might have one in storage or can find one at a flea market or garage sale. Stacking two or three doors to create a floor to ceiling effect is also an option. Be creative and have fun with your color choices. Remember to fill any holes with wood filler, lightly sand, prime and paint. You might even want to finish off the top of the headboard with a piece of crown molding.
4. Want a little more drama, in the bedroom? As you learn how to make a headboard why not try dressing up your headboard using stencils. Craft stores have large selections to choose from. If you can't find one you like, draw your own on poster board and then cut it out. Use painter's tape to adhere the stencil to the headboard. Choose a coordinating paint color to that of the headboard and apply with a light brushstroke or sponge for a soft, subtle look. When dry, move the stencil to another part of the headboard and continue this process until done. You can do this on any of the above mentioned headboard ideas.
5. The crown jewel on any headboard is a headboard reading light. Imagine cozying up with a good book in your beautiful new bed. A headboard reading light will provide the proper illumination and is within easy reach. You can add charm and elegance by selecting two sconces that can be attached to your refurbished headboard or custom painted headboard. You won't want to get out of bed!
Your bedroom design dilemmas are over with these great headboard ideas. You'll be saving time and money by utilizing paint to create refurbished headboards or hand painted headboards on your wall. Learning how to make a headboard has never been so easy or inexpensive. Your New Year's resolution should be to start now!